The Ultimate 7-inch long range FPV cruiser drone
FPV drones build for 7-inch propellers are something relatively new in a FPV commmunity. It's not that pilots were not flying with 7-inch drones. It's not that. It's rather the fact, that in last year more and more companies started to design and sell frames for 7-inch propellers, good motors and good propellers. The advantages of 7-inchers over 5-inchers are quite obvious:
- More range and more flight time even when the same battery is used
- Much more list capacity
- Say whatever you want, but one of the best features of 7-incher is how they climb!
It turned out that the trick to having a smooth flying 7-inch long range cruiser quadcopter is to have a frame with thick arms and big motors with low KV. This is why iFlight XL7 was replaced by TBS Source One with 7-inch arms and Brotherhobby 2507 Avenger v2 1500KV motors motors.
It turned out it was a very good decision. Stiffer arms and bigger motors greatly improved flight experience and most of the vibrations and bobbing are gone. Finally a smooth and efficient flight...
- TBS Source One
- 7-inch arms for TBS Source One
- Brotherhobby 2507 Avenger v2 1500KV
- HQProp 7x4x3 propellers
- Holybro Tekko32 35A BlHeli_32 ESC
- Matek F722-SE flight controller
- Runcam Eagle 2 Pro FPV camera
- Matek 5.8GHz HV VTX
- Beitian BN-880 GPS module
- FrSky R9 Slim+
- FrSky R9M2019
- Software: INAV 2.3
As a result, this 7-inch long-range drone has some interesting properties:
- it's very stable in the air and allows to take cinematic videos
- long flight time: on a relatively small 1550mAh 4S battery, it is capable of more than 8 minutes of flight and can easily travel 5km or more. It all depends on how gently you drive it!
- has enough lift capacity to fit much bigger batteries, even 4000mAh and still be quite agile in the air
- when required, it still can do a dynamic flight and freestyle maneuvers